You also can be a part of it!
Premian a Andrés Canizález con el Titus Brandsma Award 2010
In his balanced and exemplary struggle in order to guarantee the fundamental of fundamentals, he managed to get all types of media to communicate the message that without true freedom of expression, a nation cannot advance or communicate. He thus vigorously campaigned that freedom of expression is the major democratic challenge in today’s Venezuela. Therefore, it is not surprising that the anti-democracy forces and agents continue to threaten him and his activities.
Professor Canizalez has been for more than five years co-ordinator of a unique postgraduate programme on “Investigation and Promotion of Freedom of Expression”.
It has become a star activity on the Venezuelan and Latin American postgraduate landscape. Another unique aspect of this programme is that it is realised in co-operation with the mainstream media, especially print.
The Titus Brandsma Award 2010 has been given to Professor Andres Canizalez of Venezuela in consideration of the following main points:
1. Among the candidates proposed the life and actions of Professor Canizalez were more close to the aims and objectives of the award.
2. He has been working to promote dialogue instead of joining the forces of polarisation and bring together divided parties and groups in dialogue that the common welfare of Venezuela could be obtained.
3. In these efforts for promoting true and effective dialogue, freedom of press and expression are indispensable and Professor Canizalez has tried to guarantee these fundamentals showing that they are essential for any healthy society and nation.
4. He continues to play an excellent role in helping the media, which have been also victims of polarisation because of their allegiance, ownership and other alliances, to work for the overall good of the peoples of Venezuela.
5. Professor Canizalez has taken considerable risks in his struggle in order to achieve these noble goals that aim at the overall welfare of the nation.
6. The giving of this award can also inspire other nations in Latin America and worldwide.
The prestigious Titus Brandsma Award will be conferred upon Professor Canzalez at the UCIP World Congress to be held at Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso from 12 to 19 September 2010.
International Journalism and Media Awards 2010 Eight prestigious International Media Awards have honoured more than 40 journalists, media professionals and institutions worldwide for their outstanding services and contributions for the whole humanity through the responsible use of the media. The international juries made known their decisions based on the various aspects of candidates and their works. For articles, features, photographs and broadcast materials, what weighed more were the presentation as well as the content. In some cases presentation led the winning argument while in some other cases the content was in the vanguard. For institutions and individuals, their over all achievements and accomplishments were taken into consideration. More than 1900 entries and candidates were submitted for 8 categories of awards. The jury members highly appreciated the quality of award entries and candidates. The names of award winners are posted at www.ucip.ch